We were really excited at ‘What me and the Boys say HQ’ when we were asked if we’d like to be part of a creative campaign to create our ULTIMATE burger for National Burger Day. It was reported recently that Prince William’s favourite snack is a Welsh Lamb burger topped with Snowdonia Cheese, bacon and a fried egg…and seeing as our challenge was to use Welsh Lamb as the main ingredient, it seemed only right that I put my creative mind to the task of creating a Welsh Burger…so I did just that!
I must admit we don’t eat much lamb in our house, but when we do I like to know that I am using a local meat…so Welsh Lamb is a great choice. And if YOU want to buy Welsh Lamb whilst you’re shopping then just look our for the special sticker! To create my ULTIMATE WELSH BURGER I also decided to use a leek, and some Welsh cheese in my recipe, along with a few other ingredients.
And here is my recipe…
Ultimate Welsh Burger
- 1 500g pack Welsh Lamb mince
- 1 leek
- 4 thick slices Welsh Slate Cavern Aged Cheddar
- 4 rashers streaky bacon
- Salt and Pepper
- Dice the leek then saute in a frying pan with a little water until softened. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Place the Welsh Lamb Mince in a bowl and add the leek. Using your hands, combine well.
- Divide the mixture into 4 balls. Flatten each out in the palm of your hand, place one of the cheese slices in the middle and, using your hands, form the mince and leek mixture around the cheese to make a burger shaped patty. Repeat to make all 4 burgers.
- Carefully wrap a rasher of streaky bacon around the edge of each burger patty.
- Griddle (or BBQ) the burgers over a medium heat for at 8-12 minutes per side, turning onto the edges too to crisp the bacon.
- When cooked through serve in your choice of bun with or without salad and relish…that bit is up to you!!!
And the best bit about my ULTIMATE Welsh Burger…well that has the be the hidden pot of melted cheese that oozes out of the middle as you take a bite…
What’s you’re ULTIMATE burger?